Do you have a small garden around the house? Many people like gardening and grow different kinds of plants and trees in the home garden. Some people even grow their fruits and vegetables. To help the plants and trees grow correctly, there is a lot that you need to do. You will have to make sure that they get enough water and sunlight. To make all this happen and to help them grow well, you will have to go some kind of cutting and chopping. If it is a large tree, you can use a chainsaw, but for small trees in the home garden, you don’t need such a big saw. You can finish the job with the help of a bow saw. They are one of the best and most convenient ways to cut the branches of a tree, small wood logs, or other little things.
You must have seen your grandfather or father using this kind of bow saws for cutting wood. But the ones available now are quite different from the old ones. These are stylish in design and reliable in construction. They are a highly durable and safe option for you to cut the wood. You need not have to be worried about any accidents when you have the safe bow saw with you. These are just perfect for small wood works of any kind. Even if you have a big saw at home, it is worth investing in the bow saws.
If you plan to get one home, you need to know that it will not be an easy task. They are available in different sizes and different brands. So, you will get confused about which is the right one for your needs. But you need not have to worry as you have us to rescue you from this confusing situation. We have made a list of ten best bow saws in the market. We have considered a lot of features before we make a choice.
We considered their
- Size: Different sizes are available in the market to meet the needs of the people using them.
- Uses: Some saws can be used for certain things, and some can be used for almost all kinds of cutting work. We picked saws that can be used in multiple ways.
- Brand: So many brands are available in the present, and hence we have picked some of the best brands that provide you with quality products at an affordable price.
- User reviews: We have considered the user reviews as they have already used the product, and hence they are the best people to review the product.
- Price and quality: Price will not always decide the quality, and so we have made sure to give the best quality products that come at a reasonable price.
These are some of the basic things that helped us come up with the best ten bow saw. Now, you can go through the list and make the right choice.
So, let us get started…
- Best Buy Bow Saw Reviewed For 2021
- #1. Bahco 10-30-23 30-Inch Ergo Bow Saw for Green-Wood
- #2. Great Neck 15550 12 Inch Heavy Duty Bow Saw and Hacksaw
- #3. Stanley Garden BDS6510 Bow Saw
- #4. Irwin 218HP300 12-Inch Saw with Wood Cutting and Hacksaw Blades
- #5. Thrive Tools 21 inch Bow Saw – Tree Saw and Tree Limb Pruning Saw
- #6. Bond BS21 Gardener’s Choice 21-Inch Bow Saw
- #7. Husky 12 in Combination Bow saw, and hack saw
- #8. Kenyon 41455 WP-7630 Bow Saw, 30″ Steel Blade with Guard
- #9. Martha Stewart MTS-HG21BS Heavy-Duty All-Purpose 21-Inch Bow Saw w/Hand Guard
- #10. TRUPER AJT-24 Bow Saws 24 inches
- How To Choose The Best Bow Saw
- Tips for Bow Saw Safety
- Bow Saw Frequently Asked Questions
Best Buy Bow Saw Reviewed For 2021
Have a look at some of the best bow saw in the present market…
#1. Bahco 10-30-23 30-Inch Ergo Bow Saw for Green-Wood
Let us start the list with one of the best products in the market, Bahco 10-30-23 30-Inch Ergo Bow Saw for greenwood. It comes with 30 inches long blade that is perfect for cutting the 10 inches wood log. They are designed using the best Ergo technology of the Bahco brand. This technology will make sure that the bow saw is sturdy and durable. It will give the best performance possible so that the wood is cut correctly. The teeth of the blade are sharp and placed at the right distance from each other so that they will be able to cut even a durable wood.
This bow saw is designed especially for greenwood and comes in bright red color. The handle of the saw has a knuckle guard so that the hands are safe, and you get a good grip while moving it. There is enough distance between the blade and handle so that your hands will not come in contact with the blade and the material that you are cutting using the saw. It is made using enamel-coated steel material. It is rust-proof and corrosion-resistant as well.
- It is enamel coated steel bow saw for cutting wood.
- The blade of the saw is 30 inches long.
- The knuckle grip of the bow saw is smooth and perfect.
- The teeth of the blade are sharp.
- The protective sheath is not of good quality.
#2. Great Neck 15550 12 Inch Heavy Duty Bow Saw and Hacksaw
Here is one simple, but yet a strong bow saw from Great Neck, Great Neck 15550 12 Inch Heavy Duty Bow Saw and Hacksaw. The best part about this saw is it is a combination of two different kinds of a saw. With the bow saw’s help, you will be able to cut wood, while the hack saw can be used for cutting metal. You can use it both ways. This will not just save you some money, but also you will be able to save some space.
It has a 12-inches blade, which is quite useful for small woodworks. The blade is made using metal, which is highly durable and robust. The handle comes with a dipped rubber grip. That will ensure that you get a perfect grip when you are holding the bow saw for cutting. But there is no knuckle guard to protect your fingers. You will be able to get this bow saw, and hack saw combination at a very affordable price, and hence many people prefer this blade.
- It comes as a combo of bow saw and hack saw.
- It is made using premium quality metal.
- The blade and the frame are sturdy and durable.
- It has a 12-inch blade.
- The price of the product is quite affordable.
- There is no knuckle guard, and hence you need to be very careful while using it.
#3. Stanley Garden BDS6510 Bow Saw
Here we have another bestselling product, Stanley Garden BDS6510 Bow Saw. It is one of the famous brands that make a highly durable and robust bow saw for cutting wood. It can be used for cutting both green wood and dry wood as per your requirements. The blade’s length is 24 inches, which is good enough to cut wood of 10 inches. The best part of the blade is it comes with an armor coating. This coating will ensure that the blade lasts for a long time.
It comes with a tension adjustment feature. You can easily lock the blade in place whenever you think that the blade’s tension needs to be adjusted. It is effortless to remove the blade or adjust the tension of the blade. The bow saw grip comes with a molded grip so that you will not feel any tension on your hands when you are moving the blade. There is also a knuckle guard that will ensure that the hands are safe and do not contact the blade. It is light in weight and hence very easy to hold and move.
- It has a 24 inches blade with a protective coating.
- It has an easy tension adjustment feature with a lock.
- The bow saw has a knuckle guard to protect your hands.
- The molded handle makes it easy for you to use the saw.
- The blade is very thin and not sharp as well.
#4. Irwin 218HP300 12-Inch Saw with Wood Cutting and Hacksaw Blades
Irwin 218HP300 12-Inch Saw with Wood Cutting, and Hacksaw Blades is the next product on our list of best ten bow saws. This saw is a combination of a hack saw and bow saw as well. It comes with 12 inches blade that is made using steel metal. The steel blade is free from rust and corrosion as well. You can easily cut wood with the help of bow saw and cut metal items with the hack saw. It is available in blue color and is a highly durable product.
The frame of the bow saw is welded, and that makes it easy for you to use. It gives you a precise cut, and there is fast cutting as well. There is also a knuckle guard that protects your hands and avoids injuries to the hands. The tension of the blades can be adjusted, and that is another exciting feature about this saw. The weight of the bow saw is light, and hence it very easy to use as well.
- It is a 2-in1 saw, which has both hack saw and bow saw.
- It has a 12-inch blade.
- The blades are made using steel metal.
- There is a knuckle guard to offer better safety.
- The frame is durable enough for perfect cutting.
- There is no protective cover provided for any of the blades.
#5. Thrive Tools 21 inch Bow Saw – Tree Saw and Tree Limb Pruning Saw
The next product on the list is Thrive Tools 21 inch Bow Saw. This saw comes with two blades, one for greenwood and the other for cutting dry wood. You will be able to do your quick cutting job with the help of this bow saw. The length of the blade is 21 inches, and it is an ideal size for cutting wood in the home garden. You will not have huge branches or trees to cut. You will be able to finish the cutting job faster due to the high tension blades.
The unique and ergonomic design of the bow saw makes it easy for you to handle the saw and also to cut. The handle comes with a plastic grip, which makes it slip-free. There is a guard for your knuckles, and hence your hands are very safe when you are using the bow saw. You can tighten the blades adjust the tension to make the most out of the blades. There is no protective cover provided with blades. When there is a cover, the life of the blades increases, and hence they will last for a long time.
- It is a 21-inch bow saw.
- It comes with two different blades for dry wood and greenwood.
- The handle comes with a unique design for faster wood cutting.
- There is a handguard that protects the knuckles of your hand.
- There is no protective sheath provided along with the bow saw.
#6. Bond BS21 Gardener’s Choice 21-Inch Bow Saw
If you are looking for the best saw for your garden, then there cannot be a better option than Bond BS21 Gardener’s Choice 21-Inch Bow Saw. It can be used in multiple ways, which is why many people opt for this bow saw. You can use it in your gardens and can also be used when you are going hunting or camping. It is made using tubular steel and light in weight. It is a highly durable product that comes at a very reasonable price.
The design of the blade is the best part about this bow saw. It comes in pull and pushes design for optimal cutting. That means you will be able to use this blade for cutting any material that has low-density. There will not be any high tension involved in the cutting process. You can easily remove the blades when you need to replace it. The process of replacement is straightforward. You can use this bow saw with both hands or just one hand, according to your convenience. The price of the product is also quite affordable, making it one of the bestselling products.
- It is a 21-inch bow saw for your garden.
- It can be used in multiple ways like gardening, hunting, camping.
- It is made using tubular steel for durability.
- You can easily remove blades and replace them.
- There is no protective cover provided for this bow saw.
#7. Husky 12 in Combination Bow saw, and hack saw
Husky is another famous brand in the market that manufactures the best quality saws. Here we have Husky 12 in combination Bow saw, and hack saw. This is also a combination of two saws – bow saw and hack saw. With a hack saw, you will be able to cut metal and hard plastic, and with the bow saw, you can cut both dry wood and green wood as well. With multiple use and low price, this is popular saw in the market. The blades of the saw are made using metal.
There is a tension adjustment feature for this saw, and hence you will be able to adjust it easily. The frame of the bow saw comes in robust and sturdy construction. The frame offers a good grip so that the saw does not slip from the hands and cause any accidents. There is a handguard for the knuckles so that the knuckles are safe. You can easily remove the old blades if you wish to replace them with new ones. It comes with the protection sheath so that the blades last for a long time and do not hurt anyone.
- It comes with a 12-inch blade.
- It is a combination of a hack saw and bow saw.
- It is made using durable metal for durability.
- The frame provides an excellent grip to the hand, and there is also a knuckle guard.
- The blades of the saw are very delicate.
#8. Kenyon 41455 WP-7630 Bow Saw, 30″ Steel Blade with Guard
The next product on the list is Kenyon 41455 WP-7630 Bow Saw, 30″ Steel Blade with Guard. This is a 30-inch blade, and you can choose from 21 inches blade as well. It comes with a durable frame that is made using tubular steel. It is easy to hold the bow saw, and also hands do not hurt when you are using it for a long time. The long handle makes it easy for two persons to hold if the wood is too hard for one person to cut.
The blades of the bow saw are made using steel, and it is a highly durable metal. The steel blades of the bow saw can be replaced easily. You can release the blade and replace it with a new one. The tension of the blade can also be adjusted easily when it gets loose after a few uses. As this is a large bow saw with 30 inches length, you will be able to cut large wood, which is not possible with the 21 inches blades. The cut is perfect and precise so that you can cut in the way you like.
- It is a 30-inch blade for large woods.
- The blade is made using steel metal.
- The frame is made using tubular steel for durability.
- The blades of the bow saw can be replaced.
- There is no knuckle guard for the bow saw.
#9. Martha Stewart MTS-HG21BS Heavy-Duty All-Purpose 21-Inch Bow Saw w/Hand Guard
Martha Stewart MTS-HG21BS Heavy-Duty All-Purpose 21-Inch Bow Saw w/Hand Guard is another excellent bow saw that you could buy for your garden work and woodwork. It comes with a 21-inch blade that can be cut from both sides. You get a precise and straight cut with the help of this saw. It looks very much similar to the old saw you had in the house, but with a little improved design.
Durable metal is used in its making to make sure that it lasts for a lifetime. The frame of the saw is very comfortable to handle and does not slip off from hands. The handle also comes with a knuckle guard to protect the hands from any accidents. You can quickly release and replace the blades.
- It has a 21-inch blade for cutting wood and other garden works.
- It cuts on both sides.
- The frame has an excellent grip to avoid accidents.
- It comes with a knuckle guard to protect your hands.
- You will not get any protective sheath with the saw.
#10. TRUPER AJT-24 Bow Saws 24 inches
The last product on the list is TRUPER AJT-24 Bow Saws 24 inches. It comes with a 24 inches blade that can be used in the yard, garden, and home. The blade is made using durable metal so that it lasts for a long time. The frame of the saw comes with a rubber tube protection. It does not just protect your hands but also make sure that it does not slip while cutting. There is a handguard for protecting your hands.
You can easily adjust the tension of the bow saw and also release the blades if you wish to replace it with new blades. It is very light in weight, and hence it is straightforward to operate. There is no protection cover provided for this bow saw.
- It comes with 24 inches blade.
- The blade is made of sturdy metal.
- The frame has rubber tube protection.
- The handle comes with knuckle guard.
- There is no protective cover provided.
How To Choose The Best Bow Saw
It is not tough to find a bow saw in the market, but it is tough to find the one that serves your purpose and meets all your needs. Now that you have checked out the best ten bow saws in the present market, you may want to pick one of the best products from the list. The buying guide below will help you in picking the bow saw. It helps you know exactly what you need to concentrate on.
The first thing to consider is the length of the saw blade. You will be able to find bow saws in different sizes. If you are going with a small saw, it can be used for small cut works only, and if you choose larger blades, you can cut a large piece of wood. If you are not sure which size to pick, then a 21 inches blade is ideal. You can choose anything between 21 inches to 30 inches. If you are looking for a larger blade, go for something above 30 inches, as a 36-inch bow saw. Twenty-one inches to 30 inches blades are perfect for cutting a 10-inch wood log. So, now depending on the wood, you can make a choice.
Usually, the bow saws come with a feature to hold the blade and release them when required. But as you keep using the saw, it loosens up, and hence you need to adjust the tension so that it works well. So, the blade tension adjustment feature is essential.
Guard and Grip
As you are handling a sharp object, you need to be very careful. Earlier, bow saws did not have any guard on the area where you hold the saw. But the latest models come with a knuckle guard. That will keep your hand safe. Along with that, you should also look for something that comes with a perfect grip. When the grip is secure, the saw will not slip from your hands when moving it back and forth. So, that can prevent any accidents that can happen when you are using the bow saw.
The blades of the saw come with sharp teeth, and they are very sharp that they can hurt your hands very quickly. When the saw is not in use, you cannot just leave it uncovered. When left uncovered, it can lead to cuts and other accidents. So, always choose a bow saw that comes with a cover.
When it comes to the saw blades, you will have to replace them after using it for a specified period. So, it is always good to buy something that comes with an extra pair of blades. That makes it easy for you to change it whenever you need to replace the old one. Along with that, there are different blades for dry wood and greenwood. If you are looking for a perfect and precise cut, get one that meets your requirements or get one of each. You can use the right blade according to the requirement.
Many people do not give a lot of importance to this point, and it is not very important as well. But still, if you are picking a bow saw that comes in a bright color, you will be able to locate it quickly in your garden full of trees and plants. You will never misplace it.
Tips for Bow Saw Safety
Bow saws are quite a commonly used tool as they provide a steeler performance and fast cutting. The thin blades do make for quick cutting and ease of use. However, the chances of mishaps are also high if the saw is not used safely. Here are some safety tips to follow while using a bow saw:
- Always clean your blade: Using a bow saw can be quite a tricky task if you don’t follow the right procedure. Using a bow saw with a dirty and rugged blade will hamper the work and may cause accidents. While cleaning your blade and keeping it sharp will allow you to build proper tension between the wood and the blade ensuring easy flow and fast cutting.
- Use both of your hands: Using a bow saw means using both of your hands in the synced way for better results. Always make sure that you hold the frame with one hand while placing your other hand on the side of the saw. This allows a better grip and provides stability ensuring that there will be no accidents and cuts.
- Always use a forward and backward motion: The best and safest way to use a bow saw is to run it in forward and backward motion. This technique allows you to control the pace of the saw and also stop it from wobbling. Most of the accidents on the bow saw occur when the wobbling happens. To ensure that there are no wobbles, carefully cut the wood and then use the bow saw over it in a forward and backward motion.
- Maintain distance: When you use a bow saw, make sure that you have maintained a proper distance between the wood and the stabilizing hand. Try to keep your hands at least 6-12 inches away from the blades. This will make sure that your hands do not get caught in the motion.
- Use protective gears: Whenever you use a saw, be it any kind, it is strongly advised to use protective gears for your eyes, head, and toes. When you use a bow saw, using hearing protection isn’t compulsory as the noise levels won’t be that high. However, using goggles and safety steel toe shoes is much warranted.
- Don’t ever touch the blade: When you use a bow saw, never touch the blade of the saw and always keep your hands off the blades at all times. The blades are not only sharp but can cause lethal injuries to people.Also if you have someone nearby ask them to not touch the blades and keep distance as much as possible for safety measures.
Bow Saw Frequently Asked Questions
A bow saw is a manual saw, are they any good?
The bow saw is one of the oldest types of saws used all around the world. While they are manual saws, they are the best at what they do. As far as you should know, a bow saw could be used to make straight and curved cuts with ease.
Are bows saws dangerous? How to use the bow saw in the right way?
No, bow saws are manual saws and they are one of the least dangerous saws. Since a bow saw is a framed manual saw, it does not commonly cause any accidents or issues. Now, when it comes to using the bow saw in the right way, the user should see to the fact that both bow saw and material is stable. In a bow saw, the blade should be tightened firmly to the firm. If the blade is loose, it could break. In the same way, if the material is loose, the blade could break.
Bow saw blades are so thin and small, are they efficient to cut wood and branches?
Even if the thickness and size of the bow saw blade is low, if the bow saw is used properly it could cut wood of up to 5 to 10-inches in diameter. Remember, since the thickness of the blade is too thin if the bow saw is handled carelessly, the blade could easily break.
Are bow saws best for cutting large trees?
Yes, they are good for cutting trees. However, we will not recommend framed manual bow saws for cutting very larger trees. Today, there are gas and electric powered chain saws that could help you cut large trees. However, if you prefer using a bow saw instead, the entire cutting process would be complicated and time-consuming.
Instead of purchasing a bow saw, is it possible to make a bow saw at home?
Of course, bows are simple saws that could be made at home. While bow saw blades are available readymade, if you could manage to make the right bow saw frame, then you could succeed in making a bow saw. However, the frame should be strong and should withstand high tension without deforming or breaking.
I have bought a new bow saw recently, however, I find them binding while using it, why does it happen?
Bow saws are manual saws and they tend to bind while in use due to 2 main reasons. One, you are applying too much tension on the saw while cutting. There is always the right amount of tension to be applied on the bow sow while using it. On the other hand, the bow saw could start binding once the blade becomes inefficient or used improperly. Remember, there are different types of bow saw blades, some designed to cut dry wood and some for greenwood. If you use the wrong type of blade, the blade would naturally bind.
What is the difference between bow saw and hacksaw? Could they be considered and used as an alternative to each other?
For the general public who have no idea of the difference between hacksaw and bow saw, it would be difficult to differentiate both. There is a difference in the design of the frames of both hacksaw and bow saw. However, the major difference between the both is that hacksaw could be used to cut metals and plastic, while bow saw could be used to cut only wood. While hacksaw could sometimes cut wood, bow saw cannot cut metal or plastic. Therefore, bow saw and hacksaw cannot be considered alternatives for each other. If you need to cut metal or plastic, a hacksaw should be used and if you need to cut wood, a bow saw should be considered.
It is not a simple task to buy a product that is something new to you, but a saw is not a new product. You must have seen it from your childhood. But if you are buying it for the first time, then it will be a tough job. We hope you have gone through the above list. So, which one did you like the most? You can pick any product from the above list as they are all good. They are all strong and durable, as well. The bow saw is a simple and handy tool that can be of great use in your garden and for woodworks. So, get one for your garden today.