Cutting down trees and stems seem likes like the most time-taking job as if you are using a normal saw. It requires plenty of effort and will-power to cut a large tree. Most people who use saw or ax to cut trees spend around three to four hours in a single tree. It is a lot of manpower, and there are so many hours wasted when it comes to cutting hundreds of trees.
Some trees have hardwood, which increases the time required in the whole process. The simplest solution is to get better tools and equipment. A chain saw seems like the best choice, and it is available in two different options, electric and gas-powered. Both are highly reliable, and they get the work done.
However, they have some certain advantages and disadvantages. A gas-powered chainsaw runs on the small engine, which provides intense power, whereas the electric chain saw has small motors, so they have lower power. Based on the need, anyone can find the right type. If you don’t want to waste time deciding and want to get the best for performance, the Gas chain saw is the reliable option.
A small fuel tank is connected to a 100cc engine (power may vary with model). This engine can produce higher torque and rotate blades at higher speeds. When the speed is high, cutting trees seems like an easy option. You are also getting rotation speed options. If said in a few words, the Gas chain saw is best to increase productivity and performance.
Manufacturers use their unique design when they come up with high power engines with higher fuel efficiency. If you look for the available models in the market, there are a ton of options. Among all the best chainsaw manufacturers and their claim, figuring out a credible choice require adequate knowledge.
If you are new to chainsaws, then reading our buying guide will provide you the key details, essential factors, and working of the chainsaw. As we made the buying guide, we made a list of best gas-powered chainsaws also. We did pick a range of products for a proper test and their specification.
- Best Gas Chain Saw Reviewed For 2021
- #1. Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
- #2. ORCISH 52cc 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
- #3. SALEM MASTER 5820H 58CC 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw
- #4. COOCHEER 20 Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
- #5. Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
- #6. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw
- #7. CRAFTSMAN 41AY4216791 S165 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
- #8. Remington 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw
- #9. PROYAMA 46CC 16-inch 20-inch 2IN1 Gas Powered Chainsaw
- #10. Garwinner 58cc Gas Chainsaws
- How To Choose The Best Gas Chain Saw
- Tips for Gas Chain Saw Safety
- Gas Chain Saw Frequently Asked Questions
Best Gas Chain Saw Reviewed For 2021
After checking all the factors along with reviews, here is our list of top 10 best rated gas chain saw that can suit your need and provide the best value for money deal. Let’s begin –
#1. Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
Going with Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw seems like the best choice for a great value for money deal. It is a great choice for landowners and homeowners who want something powerful and heavy-duty option. The guide blade is 20 inches, and it can provide you an excellent use while cutting down trees and wood.
It has a 55.5 cc engine to give you enough of what you exactly need. You are getting a 2-cycle engine and intertie activated chain brakes, which will work for safety. The manufacturer includes a chain bar cover and a 2.6 ounces bottle with pre-mix fuel included for reliable use. The best part is an automatic chain oiler, which can deliver a steady speed.
- The chainsaw is extremely powerful due to having a 55cc engine.
- The manufacturer is using two-cycle engines for better fuel efficiency.
- The automatic chain oiler is reliable to get you adequate speed while cutting.
- Get easy to clean functionality with the quick-release air filter option.
- The manufacturer is including a cover for the chainsaw guide bar.
- No cons reported except a slightly expensive price point factor.
#2. ORCISH 52cc 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
With a 52cc engine, you can expect adequate power, better performance, and effective sawing experience. The same is easy to expect from ORCISH 52cc 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw. It provides a better value for money deal. There is an 18 inches guide bar to provide better control over the sharp blades and cutting small trees effectively.
There is a small safety switch which helps against accidental start. You can find it effective against trimming, branches, and pruning limbs. The tank is large enough to provide you 20 hours of use at one time. The weight balance is good enough to help you expect easier use, and the build quality seems solid. The overall opinion is positive about this deal.
- There is a 52cc powerful engine to provide you intense rotation speed of blades.
- The build quality is solid, and this chainsaw seems effective over others.
- The safety features are intact and highly reliable for even first time users.
- The guide bar is 18 inches, which provides you effective sawing experience.
- Get high efficiency along with less fuel consumption over others.
- Few negative reviews about pulling the extra rope force to start it.
#3. SALEM MASTER 5820H 58CC 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw
For higher performance, going with SALEM MASTER 5820H 58CC 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw seems like the best choice. With higher performance and 3.4 horsepower engine, you are going to get better use. This engine can deliver you steady power to cut down wood into small pieces with ease, so it seems like the most reliable option in all kinds.
The superior build quality is ensuring better value for money deal. It is a professional gas chain saw equipped with a strong chain that can cut into hardwood with ease. The auto-oiler keeps the chain lubricated so that you get a smooth operation. This feature works perfectly to provide better usability and a range of advantages for sure.
- The auto-oiler feature is enhancing productivity and provide a better use.
- The design is completely ergonomic, and you can expect a smooth functionality here.
- The build quality of the chainsaw is superior and loved by almost every buyer.
- The safety features are excellent and keep you safe when using it.
- There is a 58cc engine, and it can provide great rotation speed of chain during the use.
- This chainsaw is slightly heavy, and it seems a little overpriced.
#4. COOCHEER 20 Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
To get extreme power and performance, going for a higher power engine seems like the best choice, right? So, you can consider COOCHEER 20 Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw. It is equipped with a 62 engine which offers you incredible performance. It is a two-cycle engine that provides you better usability when cutting trees, branches, and pruning limbs.
The intense power with a 20 inches guided guide bar gets you a smooth functionality. The manufacturer is including some of the important parts like spark plugs, chainsaw bag, and two different chains. The overall reviews are positive, and you can expect a better value based on the items included. However, the only issue is with handling such intense, powerful machines due to extra pounds.
- The guide bar length is 20 inches, and it is good enough to get you a reliable use.
- The manufacturer is including two spark plugs, chainsaw bag, and two chains.
- It is easy to start the engine and provide better performance even in lower temperatures.
- There are high quality imported chains equipped with this gas-powered chain saw.
- The handling is comfortable, and you can find that it is easy to hold also.
- It consumes a significant amount of fuel as compared to the other options.
#5. Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
Suppose you like getting a genuine power for temporary use, then Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw is an affordable choice. You are about to pay less price for the 50cc engine, but this is going to be a value for money deal. First of all, it is equipped with a 20 inches guide bar to allow you a smooth operation against branches, wood, and other uses.
The build is sturdy, and you can expect extreme power from this gas-powered chain saw, which can enhance the overall functionality. It has a user-friendly combined chowk which works perfectly, and it is easy to chain. Maintenance is not going to be an issue because of sturdy design and great features.
- It is easy to maintain a gas chain saw for basic use mainly.
- This chainsaw has a two-cycle 50 cc engine, less powerful but economical.
- It is one of the affordable and reliable gas chains saw over the other ones.
- The safety features are credible, and there are positive reviews about it.
- The pull start system is effortless and doesn’t require intense force as the other ones.
- Lower power might be an issue when cutting large trees with this chainsaw.
#6. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw
Hitachi is a well-liked brand for the great after-sale services, positive reviews, and incredible build quality in their products. If you look out for chainsaw from Hitachi, you can find plenty of models, but Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw is quite an eye-catchy option. This model is extremely durable and packs a 50cc engine to give you great power.
A lower engine is going to help you expect better value as it provides a genuine power and better functionality. It is also economical due to the less fuel consumption, and you can find that chain rotates at genuine speed. It has a 20 inches long guide bar to fulfill the need, so the chances of having any issue with this product are quite lower.
- The build quality is impressive as Hitachi offers premium quality options.
- This product is available for quite a reasonable price point and offers a value for money deal.
- Automatic oiler keeps the chain rotating at higher speed and steady performance.
- You will get better control with the help of Bumper spikes and a sprocket nose bar.
- It is slightly typical to start when you are in lower temperature zones.
#7. CRAFTSMAN 41AY4216791 S165 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
In case you want an acceptable power to cut branches mainly, then CRAFTSMAN 41AY4216791 S165 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw is the best choice for you. It is a low power engine option that is packed with a two-cycle 42 cc engine. The power is definitely low, but it is completely economical.
Better functionality is easy to expect when you are trying to cut branches and pruning trees. The build is genuine, and it has a lightweight body so you can expect better handling while using it. Something that you might not expect for this low price point is auto-oiler, but you are getting this feature here.
- Auto-oiler will help you get steady speed when cutting large trees.
- Fuel consumption is lower and seems quite an economical choice here.
- The build is genuine, and you are about to pay less price from the other options.
- This chainsaw is lightweight and completely easy to handle for long hour jobs.
- The functionality is adequate, and you can expect a smooth operation.
- The power difference is significant and easy to notice when cutting large trees or wooden blocks.
#8. Remington 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw
For a lower power need, you can get Remington 42cc Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chainsaw. It is quite a durable gas chainsaw that has a lightweight but durable poly chassis to provide effective use. The excellent performance from 42cc engine will get you a safe use. Having a lightweight chainsaw is always a better option.
It works on a QuickStart technology to provide you ease while turning it on. The best part is the adjustability feature for the chainsaw, which allow you to expect a better value. Being able to cut branches and trees with such low-priced chainsaw ensures a better value. The only issue is slightly extra noise, which can make you feel irritated while using it.
- It has QuickStart technology to get you better convenience while working.
- The body of chainsaw is lightweight due to having a poly chassis in use.
- Price is low, and it seems reliable as well as a value for money deal.
- It has an adjustable auto-chain oiler, which keeps the workflow smooth.
- Having a 42-cc engine is enough to get adequate use for home and garden purposes.
- Having 14 inches guide bar seems like an issue as it is not a versatile option.
#9. PROYAMA 46CC 16-inch 20-inch 2IN1 Gas Powered Chainsaw
A slightly expensive but complete value pack deal for a first-time buyer in the whole list is PROYAMA 46CC 16-inch 20-inch 2IN1 Gas Powered Chainsaw. This chainsaw comes with a number of accessories, including the chainsaw cover. There are definitely a few redundant kinds of stuff, but you can easily find them useful for specific purposes.
The 46cc 2-cycle engine is slightly low in terms of power, but it can rotate the sharp chain at higher speeds. There is an automatic oiler to keep up with speed, and the functionality enhances with the type of use. It is easy to start, and you can expect better functionality from this gas-powered chainsaw. It might feel slightly expensive, but it will fulfill the need in most cases.
- The deal is packed with a number of accessories for an affordable price.
- The body is lightweight, and it is easy to carry due to the firm grip on the handle.
- The build is genuine, and it feels lightweight also so you can use it with ease.
- The engine power is enough for common use and cutting wooden blocks.
- You are getting a few redundant items that might not even matter in daily use.
#10. Garwinner 58cc Gas Chainsaws
The last option is extremely reliable when it comes to the extreme power and adequate speed. There is a 58cc engine used with this chainsaw, which can enhance the overall speed and get you a reliable use. It has an air-filter and oil-lubrication system to provide a better value for money deal over the other options.
It is a petrol gas chainsaw, and it is slightly heavy, but it provides a firm grip. Safety features are considered by the manufacturer, and you are getting better functionality. You can expect great power and higher efficiency with this gas chainsaw. The only issue is with higher fuel consumption here. The guide bar is providing enough length for basic household uses.
- Get intense power with the 58cc 2-cycle petrol engine here.
- The build is sturdy, and you can expect a better value based on power.
- It is easy to start the engine and there are features like auto-oiler and air filters.
- The chainsaw has an 18 inches guide bar to provide you proper functionality.
- The after-sale services of Garwinner are slightly doubtable only.
How To Choose The Best Gas Chain Saw
As you know about plenty of models and their specifications, it will be easy for you to understand the right gas chain saw. You can look for the important factors which we are mentioning below. Let’s take a look –
Having a gas power engine means higher power and better speed. You can expect the chain to rotate at an intense speed. There are options like 100cc. You should choose an optimal power among all those power options because high power might feel hard to handle. When the power is optimal, you will spend less fuel, and cutting through wood seems like an easier thing in such cases.
The better power options might be costly, but they serve you the best use because they will save time. On the other hand, they have features like smart handling or better grip to ensure quality use. Most gas chainsaws can cut through any kind of wood, but you need extra power with a long guide bar for some certain type of trees. So, always consider power as the primary factor to begin.
Guide Bar Length
The length of the guide bar is playing an important role when you are going for large trees. Most of the trees which have a higher radius are easy to cut with a 72 inches long guide bar gas chain saw. This is the maximum size, and you can find some way better options in the same kind. For flexible operation, a mid-sized guide bar seems reliable for small and large trees. The power gets affected by size.
As the guide bar’s size increases, you also need a better engine, but it will add up to the weight. A higher weight means better control while cutting, but it can hurt your back. Due to this, you should check weight, and engine power after deciding what length fits directly into your need. In the beginning, it seems like a hard thing, but it can come in handy and provide a range of advantages.
Having such a large engine close to your body means you will get vibration and noise from the gas chain, saw. The noise level is measured in decibel, and if it is exceeding 120db, you can fear hearing loss issues. In such cases, going with a less powerful option is better because you won’t have to deal with such an amount of noise. Or, you can look forward to noise reduction earplugs or headphones.
If the noise level if reaching high as the motor is not working properly, you can get it repaired from the manufacturer. Otherwise, repairing a gas chainsaw is easy from a local mechanic. Ensure that you don’t expose your ears to such amount of noise; otherwise, it can be bad for your overall health. It might not seem like a big issue, but noise can create intense pain and suffer for sure.
Carbide Tip Chain
Most manufacturers won’t offer you carbide tip, but you can obtain a great feature by spending a little extra. A normal chain gets oily and starts cutting at a slower rate. Once it hit any hard object, dirt, stone, or anything harder from the chain material, it will dull the chain. Such issues happen, and you won’t even realize that when you damaged the chain. It increases the effort required, and you can feel irritated.
The better choice is to invest a little extra and buying a carbide tip chain. Carbide is stronger than steel and another kind of alloys used for chains. Carbide has better strength, and it can provide you higher cutting speed. Carbide tip chains are not going to dull that easily, and they have better durability. The price factor might be an issue, but you will feel the need if you ask a professional.
There is a small button to quickly turn off the chainsaw, and it is important as if you find any risk. Most chains saw are not made with safety factors in mind. Reputed manufacturers are looking for the safety of the user and providing a reliable experience. It increases the cost of the gas chain saw, but it will be a one-time purchase. Compromising with safety will be risky. You can find a range of safety features, but the auto-power cut or emergency button is important.
As we are mentioning that carbide is a better option, you can find features like guide bar. It might be a small thing, but it plays an important role in keeping you safe while operating with a gas chain saw. It let you know that are the areas you will be cutting, and it keeps your hands at bay. You might have to pay slightly extra, but this feature is completely reliable and worth your money.
Even after comparing a range of products, you might feel confused with few products which are quite similar. In such cases, checking reviews seems like a reliable deal. You can check plenty of reviews to obtain enough detail about the gas chain saw. This method will come in handy to get you the right product. You can also find some professionals in the town, or as if you know anyone who is using a chainsaw for quite a long time, you can take suggestions.
Tips for Gas Chain Saw Safety
As you learned about some of the best gas chainsaws, you might be overwhelmed to buy a new one and using it. However, while using a gas-powered chain saw, considering the safety aspect in mind is necessary. Here are some of the crucial safety tips for gas-powered chain saw safety –
- The first and the foremost thing to keep in mind is, a battery-powered chainsaw can be used for a wide range of purposes whereas a gas chainsaw is only made for wood cutting purposes. Cutting any other material is risky and the chain blades will fade quickly.
- Wearing snug-fitting clothes along with chaps, boots, gloves, safety goggles, etc is necessary to ensure safe use. Make sure you must wear earbuds to prevent your hearing from getting damaged by excessive noise.
- Always maintain a proper grip over the gas chain saw, because if you are not holding the chainsaw adequately, it might slip from your hands. A gas chainsaw is more powerful than an electric chainsaw and it can kick back as if you are not holding it properly.
- Avoid touching the chainsaw upper tip with any hard material. It is the most common type of kickback which can occur while touching the upper tip of the gas chainsaw blade with wood. It will kick back and your balance might not remain the same. So, always touch the chainsaw blade sides instead of the head part.
- A gas chainsaw is heavy in terms of weight and cutting any material below your chest height is easier because you can easily handle the weight of the chainsaw. However, taking the chainsaw above your shoulder height is risky due to the higher weight, and excessive power.
- Make sure to check the chain and blade of the gas chainsaw before using it. Any rusting, breakage or cuts in the blade is not acceptable, and you should chain the blade with a new one. By ensuring the blade quality and maintenance, you can confirm a safe use in every single case.
- There is a safety lock in every power tool, and most manufacturers of chainsaws also started offering this feature. You should always keep the safety lock engaged when the chainsaw is not in use and make sure that you keep the tool away from kids.
- If the chainsaw is not working properly, and it is shutting down continuously after a few minutes, then there might be any fault with the engine. You should avoid using a broken chainsaw and get it repaired by experts. Kickback chances are higher when the engine in a gas chainsaw has any defect.
After ensuring all the safety measurements, you can look forward to the use of professional gear while using the gas chainsaw. As our list is focusing on all the best options currently available in the market, it is also important that you should know the need before choosing the adequate one. Highly powerful gas chainsaws are not adequate ones if your job doesn’t require it.
Gas Chain Saw Frequently Asked Questions
Shall I leave gas in the chainsaw until the next use? Would it do any harm to the chainsaw?
Yes, you could leave the gas in the chainsaw until the next time you use it. However, we will not recommend doing so. It is always better to drain the chainsaw and store the gas in a container rather than in the chainsaw itself. No, leaving the gas in the chainsaw does not harm the chainsaw, however, some experts warn that leaving gas in the chainsaw for a long time could destroy the quality of the gas.
Is it okay to continue running the chainsaw even if it is out of gas?
No, it is one of the things that you should avoid at all costs. While the chainsaw tends to run for a few minutes or seconds once it is out of gas, you should turn off the chainsaw as soon as possible. If you run a chainsaw that is out of gas, the seals inside could dry and they could crack. Cracked seals and dry interior will do no good. Such cracks could lead to accidents and kill your chain saw in the long run.
I am planning on purchasing a 20-inch gas chainsaw, what is the maximum diameter it could cut?
A gas chainsaw with a bar length of 20-inch is good for cutting almost all large trees and wood. However, as far as we know, large trees like spruce, hemlock, oak, birch, etc. Could be cut with ease. According to experts, a 20-inch has chainsaw could cut a maximum of up to 36-inches in diameter.
What does a professional logger use, gas chainsaw, or electric chainsaw?
Most commonly, professional loggers use gas chainsaws only. When it comes to electric chainsaws, it should be wired or wireless, once they are out of power, they needed to be recharged. This is not possible for heavy tasks. Therefore, in general, professional loggers purchase gas chainsaw only. Most of them might not even consider purchasing electric chainsaws.
I am using a gas chainsaw for a few years now, recently I noticed my chainsaw stalling even if it is a full tank, why does it happen?
While gas chainsaws are designed in such a way that it could function for a very long time and perform heavy-duty, it does not mean they could keep on functioning for years without any issues. One of the things that you need to know is that gas chainsaws should be serviced every year or regularly after frequent use. Most commonly, the stalling in gas chainsaws is a result of clogged filters, blocked carburetor, and passages. Clean these parts and you could regain the efficiency and smooth functioning of the saw.
Cleaning the filter in a gas chainsaw is easy? Is it possible to do it without expert help?
Yes, cleaning the filters is easy. However, if you are doing it for the first time. We recommend doing it with the help of an expert. Stay close and watch how they do it and the next time tries doing it alone. Remember, faulty or blocked air or fuel filter could result in several issues. It could kill your chainsaw, increase unwanted fuel consumption, and lead to excessive wear and tear of engine parts.
Is it possible to replace the default bar of a gas chainsaw with a smaller bar?
Yes and no, it depends on the model of the gas chainsaw you are using. Some of them do not allow such a replacement or modification. On the other hand, some reputed brands have an inbuilt feature that would allow the user to switch the bar length.
The Final Verdict
Once you learn about the important aspects and check for all the factors in a gas chain saw, you can choose an adequate product. Most probably, our list of top 10 best gas chain covers all the reliable option currently available in the market for an affordable price point. However, we are also covering the mid-range and premium options, so you get enough variety.
One keynote for the first-time buyer of the gas chain saw is, do not go for intense power as if you are using it for the first time. Look for safety factors before anything else, and then choose the power option. Cheap quality gas chain saw might be powerful, but they lack in terms of safety of users. We hope that you have a great experience while choosing and using the chainsaw.