Having an appropriate and efficient power tool in hand is one of the best things a DIY enthusiast would enjoy. When it comes to ultra-saws, most DIY enthusiasts find it difficult to survive without one.
The compact circular saw has been on the market for a very long time, but Dremel ultra-saw and Rockwell Versacut are two of the advanced and efficient ones available on the market today. The demand for these two power tools has always been consistent and most commonly customers find it difficult to select a suitable one from them.
One of the reasons for the confusion is that these two compact circular saws have similarities, as well as, differences. For beginners, the similarities are that confuse them. Unless the similarities and differences are not highlighted, this confusion would remain. In this article, we will discuss everything that a customer needs to know before purchasing a Dremel ultra-saw or Rockwell versa saw. This would include the similarities, the differences, and our recommendation based on specific customer requirements.
Similarities of Dremel ultra-saw and Rockwell Versacut
As you know, both Dremel ultrasaw and Rockwell versacut are power tools and they have several similarities in design and specification. If you want the best suitable compact circular saw then, you should know the similarities in both the tools.
- Both Dremel and Rockwell products are compact or mini circular saw models
- Both products come designed to be lightweight, ergonomic, and for making quick and fine cuts.
- While both products are from different brands, they could cut the same material with the almost same efficiency.
- Both products come designed in such a way that it could mount different blades.
Now you know, how these two compact circular saws are similar, now let us take a deep dive into each tool.
Everything you need to know about Dremel Ultrasaw
If you are looking for a compact circular saw or an ultrasaw that could help you engage in a wide array of cutting or projects, then Dremel Ultrasaw is the best option for you. Everything the brand and manufacturer claims, this product practically does it.
This ultrasaw comes with 7.5 amps motor incorporated, which could work on 110 volts. A 7.5 amps motor is comparatively powerful than the ones incorporated into other compact circular saws out there. The blades incorporated into this ultrasaw have a diameter of 4-inches and the motor could rotate it at a maximum speed of 13000 RPM. While this does not mean it could offer the same cutting power and efficiency of a regular circular saw, for a compact circular saw, the motor rating and maximum speed are comparatively high. One of the best things we found in this power tool is that it comes with a 7-feet long power cord, which, facilitates the user to move freely.
As per our expert reviewers, this compact circular tool could easily cut wood, plastic, drywall, and thin metal. However, remember, this is a compact circular saw and it should not be used on dense or thick material. If you are purchasing this power tool as a pack or a tool kit, then the manufacturer offers different blades with it, which would allow us to cut different materials with efficiency and speed. Each of the blades could reach a maximum cut depth of ¾-inches and it could be best for cutting through 2×4.
Here are some of the key features, that we think you should know about.
- Comes with a 3-in-1 tool that would help you to flush cut, prepare the surface, and also many other features.
- Offers maximum durability as it comes with the metal foot; the drive train and the guard would enable the user to handle the saw with ease.
- Has features incorporated that would allow the user to adjust the plunge action and the depth of cut, which, turn, offers control, accuracy, and precision to the cut.
- Weighs only 10.1 pounds and comes with ergonomic handles incorporated that makes it easy to hold the tool for a long time.
- The overall product is only 13-inches long and the compact design makes it easy to carry from one place to another.
- Depth adjustment lever is placed on the right side of the tool, which would help the user use it with ease.
Advantages of a Dremel Ultrasaw
- Dremel Ultrasaw is comparatively very powerful
- Could offer a maximum speed of 13000 RPM
- The entire product is lightweight and if required could be handled with a single hand
- Compact and ergonomic design that allows the most efficient use
- If the tool kit is purchased, the user could get an extra set of different blades that could help cut through plastic, plywood, metal, and plastic.
- Adjustable depth feature, the level is placed on the right-hand side of the tool for easy accessibility while using the tool.
Disadvantages of Dremel Ultrasaw
- This power tool cannot be used for heavy-duty work, this is a compact circular tool designed only for light-duty function.
- The accuracy and precision offered by this compact circular saw are comparatively low.
Everything you need to know about Rockwell Versacut
When it comes to the Rockwell Versacut power tool, it is all about accuracy and fast cutting. If you are looking for a power tool or a compact circular saw that could offer high performance and peace of mind when it comes to accuracy, then, you should not neglect this product.
This tool comes incorporated with a 3-3/8-inch blade that could offer a cut depth of 1-1/16-inches, which is comparatively higher than what a Dremel Ultrasaw could offer. However, this cutting depth is only possible on wood, and while on other materials, the depth could change based on the material.
This compact circular saw comes with a 4-amps motor that could work on 120-volts. The motor could drive the blade at a maximum speed of 3500 Rpm, which is comparatively very low when compared to Dremel Ultrasaw. But, the precision of cutting offered could accommodate for this shortcoming. The manufacturer offers three different blades with this product, each of the blades are designed to cut through PVC pipe, steel sheet, tile, marble, cement backer board, and concrete. The product also comes with small wrenches that would help you to switch the blades with ease.
Apart from all these, this power tool comes with a spring-loaded base plate that could guard your blade and also help to make small cuts with precision. One of the best things we liked about this product is that the spring-loaded based plate is connected to the trigger so that if the base plate is pressed against a surface, it automatically starts the tool.
Here are some of the key features, that we think you should know about.
- Comes with a 3-3/8-inch diameter blade that could offer a maximum cutting depth of 1-1/16-inches on wood.
- Three different blades for a diverse cutting
- Comes incorporated with a laser that helps to make precise cuts
- Compact and lightweight, which, in turn, allows the user to handle it with a single hand.
- Has an adjustable depth gauge that could allow the user to control the depth of cut for maximum accuracy.
- Has a vacuum port feature incorporated that could collect all the dust while cutting.
Advantages of a Rockwell Versacut
- Easy to use with a single hand as it is lightweight
- Offer maximum precision and has depth control gauge
- Laser guided cutting
- Spring-loaded base plate for maximum safety
- Spring-loaded base plate connected to the trigger for automatic switch on and switch off.
- Offer high performance with the small motor and speed it has.
- Comes at a reasonable price
Disadvantages of Rockwell Versacut
- The motor power rating and the Rpm is too low when compared to other compact circular saws.
- The length of the power cord is low
- The laser incorporated is powered by battery, which has to be replaced frequently if used.
- The spring-loaded base plate trigger feature could prove challenging to use for some people.
Bottom line; which is better?
Answering this question is not an easy task, in a practical way, the answer would depend on the customer’s requirement.
If the customer is looking for a compact circular saw that could offer maximum power, a cutting depth of 3/4 -inches, and has no budget limitation, then Dremel Ultrasaw is the best option. On the other hand, if the customer has a budget limit and requires a compact circular tool that offers maximum precision and easy to use features. Then, Rockwell Versacut is the best option. As already mentioned, Rockwell Versacut offers a comparatively better cutting depth and has a laser-guided cutting feature, but the motor power and speed are too low.
Based on the facts mentioned above, it is up to the customer to decide, which power tool is the best.