Hole saws are quite a handy tool for making a hole in the wood or sheet metal. We understand that you might not be very confident in using the hole saw if you haven’t used it earlier. We want to make things easy and safe for you. This will also help you in getting excellent results. So, let us go ahead and check out the step-wise process to use the hole saw properly.
Before you start using the hole saw, you must always get the required material. This will help you in starting the work without any confusion. Below are some of the things that you would need while using a hole saw.
- Drill Bits
- Hole Saw
- Screw Driver
- Wood Chisel
Apart from the stuff listed above, the clamps are optional. You can judge for yourself if you need the clamps or not. From the safety aspect, we always recommend you to use a hearing aid and safety glasses while you are in your workshop. This can prevent splinters from inuring you. Some of the saws can be very loud, and hence hearing protection is always required. Let us now move ahead and check out the steps for using the hole saw.
Steps to Use a Hole Saw
We are assuming that you have the right set of tools & hole saw. Follow the steps listed below to use the hole saw.
- You need to start by making a pilot hole. To do that, mark the center on the board and drill the hole using the drill bit. We need to do this because the hole saw may wander around, and hence you may end up with an inaccurate hole while using the hole saw. The pilot hole will ensure that you are making a hole at the desired place.
- Now, you need to install the hole saw on your drill. Each manufacturer provides the instructions for the same. Once that is done, you can insert the hole saw drill bit in the pilot hole. Do not press the trigger until you are sure that the drill bit is aligned correctly in the pilot hole.
- Now, you need to cut. Ensure that you are holding the drill straight up and use both your hands to get a stable grip. Start the drill and let the hole saw make groves on the wood. Remember to stop the drill just after a couple of seconds to get that bite.
- Once you get the bite, start running the drill at a slow speed. Do not expert pressure through your hole saw as that can damage the saw. Within a few seconds, the drill will break through the wooden board. You can now remove your hand from the trigger.
- Once the rotation stops, remove the hole saw from the hole very slowly. Using the screwdriver, remove the disc, and you are done.
Also Read: How To Sharpen A Hole Saw
Believe it or not but the hole saw is quite dangerous. They can quickly get out of control if you are not careful while using the hole saw. To avoid any injury, you must always hold the drill using both ends and ensure that the grip is very strong.
Apart from this, you also need to ensure that you are keeping the drill straight, and it would be even better to clamp the wood so that it doesn’t move around.
Lastly, you must never wear loose clothing or any kind of jewelry that can be stuck in the hole saw. This will ensure your safety while using the hole saw. All these safety tips can help you in preventing any injury during the use of a hole saw.