While the market is diverse and there are many options to choose from, it is not easy to select the best saw. There are more than a dozen different saws available on the market today. Each differs in some way; however; if you study the features, functionality, and specifications, you could select the best suitable saw for yourself.
When it comes to saws, tables and circular saws are two common types of saws available today. But, it is not an easy task to select the best suitable saw from these two. Therefore, in this article, we will discuss everything about a table saw and circular saw that could help any customer to select the best saw.
What is a table saw and circular saw?
While both table saw and circular saw serves the same purpose, they are different tools. The overall design of both the saws are different and this is why you must select a saw carefully.
A table saw is designed in such a way that it has a flat surface and, on the surface, a circular blade would be protruding that could cut wood with ease. A table saw is best for cutting wood with maximum accuracy and the flat surface would come with a guide that will enable the user to cut wood precisely. All he/she has to do is simply place the wood between the guide and move it towards the blade and it would cut the wood precisely. Advanced table saws come designed in such a way that it allows the user to adjust the angle and height of cut.
Advantages of a table saw –
- Accurate and precise – One of the greatest advantages of using a table saw is that it is precise that any other saws. When it comes to precision, woodworkers prefer using table saws. A table saw comes designed in such a way that it has a flat surface, commonly this flat surface would have guide rails that could guide the wood to the cutting blade, therefore, helping to maintain accuracy and precision.
- Efficient sawdust disposal – Among all the types of saws, a table saw comes designed in such a way that it could remove the sawdust with ease. While other saws demand the user to remove the sawdust, table saws come with a feature that could remove the dust automatically. One of the main reasons is that a table saw cuts wood in such a way that the dust moves in a single direction and accumulated in a compartment.
- Could make cross-cuts and ripping boards with ease – Unlike other types of saws, a table saw comes designed in such a way that it could cross-cut and it could be used for ripping boards with ease. Even if you are a beginner, it is easy to use a table saw for cross-cutting and ripping boards.
- Very easy to maintain – Although a table saw is larger than other types of saws, it is easy to maintain. Yes, as the size of a table saw is large, this does not complicate things. But, easy as all the parts are bigger.
Disadvantages of a table saw
- Not portable – There is no need to mention that a table saw is not portable. Unlike other types of saws, a table saw is comparatively bigger. However, there are a few types of table saws that could be moved from one place to another. However, like hand-held saws, a table saw cannot be moved with ease. This is one of the reasons why the use of table saw is commonly confined with a garage or workshop.
- Expensive – As the name itself suggests, a table saw comes with a flat surface or table, motor, and cleaning system. This makes the price of a table saw comparatively very high.
- Dangerous to use – It is true that table saws are very efficient and designed to make cutting very easy. But, the fact that a table saw has an exposed cutting blade that could be dangerous if not handled carefully. Use a table saw carelessly and it could lead to accidents.
A circular saw is designed in such a way that it could be hand-held and used to wood with ease. Commonly, some people mistake a circular saw with worm drive saws or sidewinders. But, circular saws are entirely different from sidewinders and worm drive saws. This type of saw comes designed in such a way that it could cut wood by the eye by placing it on another wood, or with the help of some kind of jig. Every circular saw has the facility to adjust the angle of cut and height, which makes it more preferable.
Advantages of a circular saw
- Versatile – The greatest advantage of a circular saw is that it is comparatively more versatile than other saws. While accuracy or precision is not an advantage offered by circular jaws, versatility makes up for this disadvantage. A circular saw is designed in such a way that it could cut wood in any way.
- Cheap – One of the greatest advantages of a circular saw is that they are cheaper than other saws. Yes, a circular saw is comparatively cheaper than other saws as they have no complicated parts, it is a hand-held cutter, and therefore, the features are diverse and the design is simple.
- Highly portable – All circular saws are designed to be hand-held and used. This makes it lightweight and easy to move. This is one of another big advantage of a circular saw. Another thing about the circular saw is that they are also available in battery-powered design.
Disadvantages of a circular saw
- Poor precision or accuracy – A circular saw is designed in such a way that it offers versatility, but very poor accuracy or precision. This is one of the reasons why woodworkers do not use a circular saw for high precision wood cutting work. However, if the user uses a proper guide, then the precision and accuracy could be increased.
- No sawdust disposal feature – One of the biggest disadvantages of a circular saw is that they do not come with any compartment that could hold the sawdust. This makes circular saws complicated as they make the entire surrounding dirty. The user will have to invest time to clean the surrounding after using a circular saw.
Table saw v/s Circular saw, which is the best?
You would probably know by now that there is “no” best option. Both tables saw and circular saw has their advantages and disadvantages as already mentioned above. For most woodworkers, purchasing both these tools is not an option. Therefore, they have to select any one of the tools. Here is how you can select a suitable saw.
If you are a woodworker who requires high precision or accurate cutting, then the table saw is the best option for you. Remember, there are table saws that are designed to be portable, and, at the same time, could cut large wood with ease. If you are a professional woodworker with a good income, then the table saw is best for you. On the other hand, if you are inexperienced and do not have the budget to go for a table saw, then circular saw could be your option. A circular saw could also be your option if you want a saw that it portable and versatile at the same time.
Apart from all the above-mentioned facts, you should know that the load that a circular saw could handle is very low, on the other hand, table saws come designed in such a way that they could handle any load.
If you have read the above-compiled facts, then you would understand the difference between a table saw and a circular saw. If you are here to know about the best saw, you should understand that there is “no” best saw. It all depends on the user’s requirements.